It’s been awhile since I posted anything superhero related, hasn’t it? Figured it was time to change that. I’ve had this post in my drafts for awhile, but never really finished it. So, here are the ten Marvel characters who need their own movies! (And probably should rightly have had their own movies before Ant-Man).
1. Black Widow. It’s kind of odd that she doesn’t have her own movie, or even a confirmed upcoming one, isn’t it? I mean, most of the fans are practically on their knees begging for one. And I must say, the Natasha we’ve seen in movies so far isn’t really even close to one of my favorite characters. She has such an interesting backstory, but in each of the movies with her so far, it’s been overshadowed with romance plots. But she really is an interesting character, with a lot of potential for a solo movie- if only we could get to see a deeper glimpse of her character!
2. The Young Avengers. THE YOUNG AVENGERS ARE AMAZING, OKAY? They’re all such amazing, well developed characters. And although the plots of their comics leave a little to be desired, the characters all have so much drive and heart to them. They all have their own interests, passions, and talents. And, in terms to what they’d bring to a movie, they’d have a lot of potential for comedy on par with Guardians of the Galaxy, they have a lot of appeal to teens, and a hugely diverse cast!
3. The Runaways. Okay, let me just say that this one is less about me thinking this would be a great movie and more about me just REALLY LOVING THE RUNAWAYS. But, I mean, that’s not to say that the Runaways wouldn’t make a good movie, because I feel like they would make a GREAT movie. They would give Marvel a chance to broaden their universe even more, as most of the story takes place in LA, not New York. It gives the team a bit of space from the more mainstream characters, like the Avengers and X-Men, but you can still see the influence of these bigger characters on the world, if that makes sense. The characters have really different backgrounds, too- like Xavin and Karolina, who are aliens, to Nico, a magic user, do Gertrude, who shares a telepathic link with a genetically enhanced dinosaur. Also, YOUNG AVENGERS TIE INS. They both have a lot in common, and would appeal to very similar audiences.
4. Peggy Carter. We have an Agent Carter show, sure. But it’s not the same as seeing her on the big screen! And the show went over so well with its fans. So is it too much to ask for a movie as well?
5. She Hulk. Don’t let the dumb name fool you- Jennifer isn’t just the girl version of the Hulk! She’s her own character, and an amazing one at that. While most of Bruce’s storyline revolves around his difficulties with finding control over his powers, Jennifer has that control. But she still has problems. Most of her character revolves around her difficulties with finding balance between her two personas, the average human lawyer Jennifer Walters and powerful green bombshell She-Hulk. Hulk movies in the past haven’t really been huge successes. But Bruce’s character in the Avengers was very popular, and I feel like a Hulk movie would be more likely to succeed now. But we already have some good movies about Bruce Banner already, so what about trying a different Hulk? Like Jennifer?
6. Spider-Man (Miles Morales). It seems a little ridiculous to me that we’re rehashing the same Peter Parker story for the third time. Why not try something different? There are plenty of interesting Spider-people aside from Peter. People who do a much better job of representing the outsiders and misfits than Peter. And I feel like Miles would be a perfect contestant.
7. Kamala Khan. Kamala Khan’s Miss Marvel is currently one of Marvel’s most popular characters. And with movies for Carol Danvers (Kamala’s role model, and a major part of her origin) and the Inhumans (Kamala is an Inhuman) already slated, the universe is already set up! And, like the Young Avengers and Runaways, she has a lot of potential to bring in a younger audience. Not to mention that she’s just a plain amazing character.
8 and 9. Quasar and Moondragon. I’m actually really disappointed that these two weren’t included in Guardians of the Galaxy (but I’m still holding on to the hope that they’ll be in the sequel). The two of them are both SUPER powerful members of the Guardians- Moondragon is a telepath who can literally TURN INTO A DRAGON, and she’s Drax’s daughter, and Quasar has some other powers that I’m actually not so sure of? And the two of them are ADORABLE SPACE GIRLFRIENDS which would give Marvel a chance to add a bit of diversity (and cuteness) into the movies.
10. Spider-Woman. Jessica is a really interesting character, who manages to balance humor with a dark past. And she actually has a lot in common with the current Marvel cinematic universe- she’s a major player in the Civil War, has a romantic history with Hawkeye, is best friends with Carol Danvers, and has a past with both SHIELD and HYDRA! And her blend of humor, romance, and butt kickery seem to be exactly what the Marvel movies look for in their characters.
What characters do you want to see in a Marvel movie?