It seems like this last year went by so quickly… but even so, I feel like I’ve changed a lot since last year- and mostly in a good way. Anyway, to celebrate the New Year, I’ve written a (really) short story, which you can find here. I’m also going to write a bit about what this last year was like for me, what I’ve accomplished, and what I hope to accomplish next year!
- My school’s leadership team (which I am a part of) won a $2,500 grant for our school.
- I helped to organize a school carnival.
- I founded a school blog to help spread news.
- My writing really improved once I started doing it more regularly than I had before.
- I won NaNoWriMo!
- I signed up for dual enrollment with my local college.
- I started blogging more-or-less regularly again.
New tastes and opinions
- I started reading comics and became utterly obsessed with Marvel.
- I began to read a lot more YA fiction.
- I started listening to Welcome to Night Vale.
- I renewed my love of Disney.
- I started listening to a lot more music than I had before.
Favorite movies of 2014
- Captain America: The Winter Soldier. It was just so edge-of-you-seat, and I loved the mystery aspect to it. And the big reveal at the end was amazing. I could probably fangirl about it for hours.
- Guardians of the Galaxy was also amazing, even if in a different way. It was HILARIOUS, and the soundtrack was great.
- X-Men: Days of Future Past (although my feelings on this one are pretty conflicted). I’m really not a huge fan of the X-Men movie franchise any more, since it feels like they’ve messed up a lot of my favorite characters, but I digress. It was still a good movie.
- The Lego Movie. Judging by the previews, it looked like it was going to be horrible, but once I saw the actual movie, it was actually pretty good, and surprisingly cute.
- Maleficent was a really cool movie. A good story, interesting characters… but honestly? I think my favorite part was looking at all the different magical creatures.
Favorite songs of 2014
Oh No! by Marina and the Diamonds
Centuries by Fall Out Boy
Top of the World by Greek Fire
Salute by Little Mix
Let’s Kill Tonight by Panic! at the Disco
New Year’s resolutions
- Next year, I’m going to try to be more outspoken and stand out for myself. It’s a trait that I’ve always admired in other people, but I have a hard time doing it myself.
- I also hope to move out of my comfort zone a little and try new things.
- I want to improve my artistic skills.
- I’d like to write more book reviews on my blog next year.
- Finally, I want to make writing a regular part of my daily schedule, even if it’s one ten or fifteen minutes a day. My writing has improved enormously even from just a couple days each week… Imagine how much it could improve if I wrote every day.
Things to look forward to
- Age of Ultron is coming out in 2015! The trailer was super awesome, so I’m really looking forward to the movie itself.
- Star Wars: The Force Awakens, also set to release in 2015, looks pretty cool as well.
- Winter, the fourth book in the Lunar Chronicles series by Marissa Meyer, also comes out in 2015.
- The Night Vale book is also set to come out sometime in 2015.
- Season nine of Doctor Who.
- More Sherlock hiatus. Season 4 probably won’t air until 2016.
- NaNoWriMo 2015. The YWP is also moving sites in 2015, so that’ll be interesting.
Anyway, happy New Year! What are your resolutions? And what are you most looking forward to?